When two names become one idea

A personal take on the power of fashion collaborations.

There’s always this indescribable feeling whenever I see news about a new fashion collaboration.

I get curious. I get excited. And sometimes, I immediately think, “Okay, I need to see this.”

I’ve always been drawn to fashion that makes people look twice. Maybe that’s why collaborations fascinate me.


For me, one of the most exciting things about a collaboration is seeing a designer I admire enter a completely different fashion world. JW Anderson × UNIQLO is one example I always appreciate. There’s something special about seeing his design language translated into pieces that feel more approachable and wearable.

It reminds me that fashion doesn’t always have to feel distant or unattainable.


This year alone, we’ve seen some interesting ones: Zara × John Galliano, Joseph Altuzarra × Old Navy, and Elie Saab × H&M, among many others.

The Zara × John Galliano collaboration caught my attention because you can still feel Galliano’s drama, tailoring, and attitude, but translated into a more accessible fashion world.

The same goes for Joseph Altuzarra × Old Navy, where an elevated designer aesthetic meets everyday fashion.


And then there’s Elie Saab × H&M. H&M is certainly not new to fashion collaborations, and that’s what makes its approach interesting. These partnerships can introduce a designer’s world to people who may admire it but may not normally be able to afford its usual price point.


And I love that this isn’t happening only internationally.


The Philippines has its own exciting collaborations, from  R.A.F. × Nicolo, Proudrace × Human, and Plains & Prints × Randolf, to name a few.

I particularly love Plains & Prints × Randolf because it feels like such an interesting meeting of two different fashion perspectives. There’s something exciting about seeing Randolf’s distinct creative identity interpreted through a brand with a wider everyday fashion audience.

It reminds me why I enjoy local collaborations so much. They give Filipino designers space to experiment, while allowing established brands to introduce their audiences to a different creative voice.

And for me, this is what collaboration is really about.

It’s not just putting two names in the windows of a store.


It’s about opening doors to new audiences, new ideas, and new possibilities.

It can introduce a brand to people who have never experienced it before. It can give existing fans something unexpected. And sometimes, it can make a designer’s world feel a little closer to someone who once thought it was out of reach.

That’s why I see it as a win-win.

One brings the creative vision. The other brings a different audience, platform, or perspective. And somewhere in between, creativity and commerce meet.

Because at the end of the day, fashion is still a business. But when the business side meets genuine creativity, that’s when things get interesting.

And sometimes, the most memorable fashion moments happen right in that space between them.

Fashion is personal. Collaboration makes it a conversation.

Comments